Medicare Annual Enrollment Period (AEP)
The Medicare Annual Enrollment Period (AEP) runs each year from October 15 through December 7. During this time period, Medicare Beneficiaries can make changes to their healthcare coverage.
Taking advantage of the Medicare AEP can help you avoid unexpected rate increases and changes in coverage, while also providing the opportunity to explore other plans that may better fit your needs.
What changes can be made during AEP?
During the annual enrollment period, you can:
- Switch your Medicare Advantage Plan
- Sign up for a Medicare Advantage or Medicare Supplement plan for the first time
- Pick up or drop Medicare Prescription Drug Plans (Part D)
Changes made during the Medicare Annual Enrollment Period will take effect in January of the following year.
Unsure where to start with reevaluating your Medicare Coverage?
Get our FREE AEP Checklist to help you successfully navigate your plan choices.
- 3 months before the month you turn 65
- The month you turn 65
- 3 months after the month you turn 65
To learn more about what Medicare Parts A and B are and what supplemental coverage options are available to you, watch this short video:
How Do I Know If My Coverage has Changed?
Each year Medicare beneficiaries enrolled in a Part D or Medicare Advantage plan receive an Annual Notice of Change Letter from their plan carrier that outlines upcoming changes to their Medicare coverage. Insurance carriers must send this notice by September 30th each year. It is important to review this notice so you are prepared for upcoming changes that may affect your Medicare coverage.
Common Reasons to Make Changes During AEP
There are many reasons Medicare beneficiaries may change their coverage during the Annual Enrollment Period. Some of the most common include:
- Not happy with upcoming changes to current coverage.
- Monthly premium, copay, deductible, or coinsurance increases.
- Important prescription drugs are no longer covered or have increased in cost.
- Regular Doctor is no longer in plans network.
- Current health needs have changed.
- Finances have changed.
Get Help Understanding your Medicare Options During AEP
Navigating the Annual Enrollment period on your own can be confusing. Not to worry. We are knowledgeable in this area and can help guide you through your options so you can be confident and comfortable with your selection and coverage for the upcoming year.
We're Here To Serve You!
Successfully navigate your coverage options and find the best plan for your needs during AEP by leaning on a trusted advisor! Speak with a licensed independent insurance agent today!